Tuesday, September 28, 2010

STAGE: MASTER CAT

The adaptation for “Puss in Boots” (a.k.a. “The Master Cat”) is done. This is a script I did for BackStory that will be performed at the Broomfield Auditorium November 4, 2010. This project included writing two original songs. The music was recorded with Mark Phillips through Doctor Obvious Studios.
Although I had vague memories of the story and had seen Antonio Banderas’s version of the character in Shrek, I didn’t really remember much about the original story. I was surprised to find that the story is actually pretty short and also that it has the alternate title of “The Master Cat.”
I watched a cheesy cartoon version of it. I also watched a live-action film of the story made in the 80s, in which the cat was played by none other than Christopher Walken. In that version, he could transform back and forth from cat to human and back again.
As I was working on the script, I was also surprised at how much I liked the character of the cat. He seemed to me to be a kind of cruel hero who had the potential for compassion. I enjoyed developing a character who was changed by the story.

No comments: