Thursday, July 23, 2015

WRITERS ARENA--DAY THREE


THE CHARACTERS AND OUTLINE

I tend to write flat characters so, I spent a little time on my protagonist and his partner.
 
More than two characters would complicate things, I kept it simple. The protagonist would be scared of the procedure (Garvey). The other would be a kind of intellectual type (Mavelle) who could provide helpful info along the way. Mavelle would also be the catalyst and general trouble-maker. I liked the idea of him trying to escape and pulling Garvey into it almost against his will.

I knew one challenge would be to make the reader empathize with a protagonist who is worthy of execution. I decided on Garvey being a reformed murderer who considered himself a completely different person than the one who committed the murderer. I also tried to make him likeable through the way he described things.

Working on the outline, I discovered that at least one turning point would require a major coincidence. I decided to push the weird rules of quantum events to make any contrivances more acceptable to the reader.

To help provide exposition, I made the beginning a lives news report where an interview could sum up the situation even as Garvey’s situation began to unfold. I stole the reporter character Fay Carson from a previous short story I wrote called "Formless and Void."

I wrote about 1,000 words and Garvey wasn’t even miniaturized yet. With only 3,000 words left before maxing out, I already knew I would have to do two things on the rewrite. Trim things way down, killing some “little darlings,” and try to consolidate exposition and action even more.

Once I got into the story however, I felt better about the possibility of it working.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...




When you buy a Luxury Breitling Watches, you do your part to stimulate the economy.An investment in a Rolex Watches is one that will stimulate the retail market while adding grace and beauty in your own life or the life of a loved one.Whether you choose a luxury Hermes handbags to add to your personal wardrobe or as a gift to someone else, this is a challenging choice with unlimited possibilities on brand of Original Omega Watches.if the 1:1 IWC is made of gold, then this also places in the category "jewelry watch".The Rolex Submariner Watches are worth checking out, as they are unique in terms of style and fashion.